The Bing Crosby Season kicks off Wednesday, November 1, followed by one of Thoroughbred racing’s most prestigious international events, the 2017 Breeders’ Cup World Championships on November 3 and 4. Opening Day will attract the region’s most stylish ladies and dapper gentlemen for the Opening Day Vintage Hollywood Fashion Contest.
- The track will present two concerts: the eclectic hip-hop group The Roots on Saturday, November 11, and the return of its popular Reggae Fest featuring Iration on Saturday, November 18. The track welcomes college students to its annual College Day where all students get in at no cost with valid college I.D. and can enjoy live music by Red Bull DJs, activities and more at the Red Star Café, also on November 18.
- Open on Thanksgiving Day, November 23, there will be a special racing card and an early 11 a.m. first post. Race fans can enjoy a morning at the track while the turkey cooks and create a new holiday tradition with friends and family.
- The following Saturday, November 25, the best of San Diego’s buzzing beverage scene come together in one epic event. The day will include the Craft Beer, Cider, Cocktail and Wine Fest, offering dozens of local seasonal brews, ciders, cocktails and wines to taste.
- Then every Sunday, brunch lovers rejoice during Taste of the Turf Club. Savor a deliciously decadent day at the races featuring creative cuisine from one of San Diego’s most celebrated chefs, Brian Malarkey, a reserved table in the exclusive Turf Club and bottomless mimosas and bloody marys.
- Free & Fun Sundays are back and include free Stretch Run Admission, program and seat along with half-price signature cocktails, such as Del Margaritas and Del Marys.
Breeders’ Cup Festival San Diego Host Committee Announces Week-long Celebrations
The San Diego Tourism Authority, San Diego Sports Alliance and organizers of the Host Committee have organized the 2017 Breeders’ Cup Festival, a week-long series of events and activations leading up to the 34th annual World Championships on November 3 and 4 at the iconic Del Mar Racetrack. The exciting line-up of events includes:
- Art of the Horse (Now through Saturday, November 4): The second annual pop-up art exhibition features 20 life-size, fiberglass horse statues created by San Diego’s most talented local artists displayed in prominent locations throughout San Diego.
- Jake’s 35th Annual Beach Fun Run and Breeders’ Cup Breeze Presented by San Diego Surf Cup (Saturday, October 28): Kicking off the official Breeders’ Cup Festival week, the 3.2 mile run on the beach will conclude with a beach party at local eatery Jake’s Del Mar with Polynesian entertainment.
- Del Mar Schools Education Foundation Celebrates the Breeders’ Cup (Sunday, October 29): A celebration of 50 plus years of the City of Del Mar, Del Mar Schools and Community! A luncheon at Barn at the Beach at Powerhouse Park, which will feature acts from local Del Mar Schools.
- Rood & Riddle Breeders’ Cup Post-Position Draw (Monday, October 30): The official post-position draw, which will be held at Barn at the Beach at Powerhouse Park, will determine the starting gate positions (number) of each horse in the 13 Breeders’ Cup World Championships races.
- Torrey Pines Golf Tournament (Tuesday, October 31): Taking place at one of San Diego’s most pristine and coveted golf courses, the tournament, sponsored by Sentient Jet and Callaway, will welcome Breeders’ Cup executives, owners, and participants for a day of friendly competition.
- Ponies & Poker (Tuesday, October 31 – Thursday, November 2): Hosted at Ocean’s Eleven Casino, this will bring together amateur and professional poker players with Thoroughbred horseracing luminaries, fans, athletes, and celebrities for a Texas Hold ‘Em style tournament and a shot at a $100,000 prize.
- Breeders’ Cup Belly-Up Concert Series (Wednesday, November 1 – Saturday, November 4): Set to accommodate up to 600 guests per night, this will feature some of the greatest musical acts from the San Diego area for four lively nights of singing, dancing, and mingling with fellow Breeders’ Cup fans.
- Bourbon, Blue Grass & Breeders’ Cup (Wednesday, November 1): The Del Mar Foundation’s community party will feature live Bluegrass music, bourbon and whiskey tastings featuring Maker’s Mark®, Knob Creek®, Basil Hayden®, among others, and hors d’oeuvres at the Barn at the Beach.
- Jocktails at the Breeders Cup (Wednesday, November 1): One of the most highly-anticipated annual Breeders’ Cup events will feature cocktails crafted by Breeders’ Cup’s most famous jockeys and personalities at the Del Mar Plaza. All proceeds will benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
- Racing Excellence Award Honoring Dick Enberg (Wednesday, November 1): Honoring the legendary American sportscaster, the gala will bring together several of his colleagues and friends, sports enthusiasts, business leaders, and the local and national horseracing community for a celebration of San Diego and Del Mar’s inaugural hosting of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships. The gala will benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of San Dieguito.
- Bing Crosby Fall Meet (Wednesday, November 1 & Thursday, November 2): Named after iconic actor, songwriter, and singer and founding partner of the Del Mar Racetrack Bing Crosby, this race meeting opens two days prior to the Breeders’ Cup and continues through November 26.
- Rancho Santa Fe Golf Tournament (Thursday, November 2): Highlighting yet another of the area’s most coveted golf courses, the tournament, which is sponsored by Sentient Jet and Callaway, will host guests for a day of sun, sand, and swings.
- Best at the Barn (Thursday, November 2): The Del Mar Village Association will host an upscale tasting event at the Barn at the Beach venue at Powerhouse Park, bringing together San Diego County’s finest chefs preparing exquisite cuisine, showcasing their signature style.
- Bash at the Beach (Friday, November 3): Following the first full day of championship races, the event will feature live music by Haute Chile, a live auction of racing memorabilia, cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres. The Bash will benefit Thoroughbred Charities of America.
- Breeders’ Cup Viewing Party (Saturday, November 4): A viewing party capping off the Breeders’ Cup Festival will take place at Barn at the Beach in Powerhouse Park.